REMEMBER -- ENERGY EFFICIENCY DOESN'T TAKE A HOLIDAY
If you are going to be away from home for the holidays, or any other occasion for that matter, give your home's energy use a break as well.
Here's how to give energy a vacation:
- Set your programmable thermostat on "hold" or the "vacation" setting.
- If it is a regular thermostat, set it at a temperature that maintains a safe environment for the house -- think about pipes, house plants and pets.
- Unplug computers, televisions, CD/DVD players, cordless phones, battery chargers and any other electronic gizmo that is using electricity even when not "in use."
- Use timers to operate lights at night.
- Set the refrigerator to a warmer setting, or even empty it completely if yours is an extended trip. Leave the door open to prevent mildew.
- Turn the water heater down to the lowest setting; some have "vacation" settings.
- Decide which clocks, heat tapes and security lights you can unplug.